Using components you can increase your offer of additional products, services or characteristics. These extensions can be billed periodically or can be counted (after usage).
Creating a component
Go to the "Products" section and change the tab to "Components".
Click on the "Add Component" button to enter the building page.
Enter a name and a description for your new component. These texts will be displayed as your invoice line item texts. You can use the field "External ID" to match the component to a different system.
There are three types of components, all of them have different use cases:
QuantityBased and OnOff components are periodically billed and are running as long as they are not explicitly cancelled. QuantityBased components can be added arbitrarily. OnOff components can be added once or not.
Metered (usage) components are billed after they were used. This quantity is billed with the given price per unit.
If the component is QuantityBased or a OnOff component, set the period for the adjusted price.
Components can be set up with different pricing models. There is a simple pricing model as well as a price scale and a discount scale.
- Every component order will be billed per unit with the same price
- Price scale
- Price scale (per Unit): To get the price, the total quantity of the units will be considered. Every unit will be billed with the same price of the price scale which fits the total quantity.
- Interval scale (per Unit): For the pricing of the total component quantity, the price for each interval will be calculated and applied separately.
- Interval scale (Total): When using the option "Total" you can define a bucket price (flat-rate) for an interval of units. Every additional item can be billed in additional buckets or will be billed in an interval scale per unit.
- Please consider, that the free quota defined in the Plan Variant is not taken into account for pricing when using a price scale.
- Discount scale
- A discount scale is working quite similar to an price scale, where discount in per cent are working on increasing unit quantities. The discount scale has a base price which will be decreased.
- A special case is the pricing model "Free". Components with this pricing model will be managed as usage in the system but will not be billed. This can be handy if you want to add additional products to a contract but don't want to charge them.
- complex pricing models are only applied for individual component subscriptions and metered usage postings
Now you can set up the price or the wanted pricing scale.
For additional and on/off components, you can also define the payment mode. It is differentiated whether these are to be settled pre- or post-paid.
- With ''pre-paid'' the components are billed immediately for the coming period.
- In case of ''post-paid'' the billing will be done retroactively for the past period with the next regular billing.
- [Feature - please contact support should you require this feature].
For "pre-paid (billed to)'', the billing of the component synchronizes with the charging interval of the plan variant. If the base plan has a monthly charge interval, this component will also be billed monthly (as the contract is billed to the next month). In case of a "Pre-Paid (Billed to)" component with a monthly period, this component is directly billed 12x at once in case of a plan variant with an annual fee interval and monthly billing interval, since the basic contract is billed until the next year. Thus, you do not have to create two components with different periods if you offer both monthly and annual package variants.
In addition to selecting whether to bill "pre-paid" or "post-paid", "Independent billing" can be used to define whether the component should be billed independently of the plan variant. In this case, the component is not synchronized with the main due date of the plan variant, but is always billed in full independently for the defined period.
In the following step, select the tax rule that applies to the component.
If you use the self-service checkout page provided by billwerk, you can finally specify whether this component should be listed in it. Periodic components can then also be ordered. Metered usage components are listed in a separate section as a price list.
Save the new component and repeat the process until you have set up all products.