Using components you can increase your offer of additional products, services or characteristics. These extensions can be billed periodically or can be counted (after usage).
Creating a component
Go to the "Products" section and change the tab to "Components".
Click on the "Add Component" button to enter the building page.
Enter a name and a description for your new component. These texts will be displayed as your invoice line item texts. You can use the field "External ID" to match the component to a different system.
There are three types of components, all of them have different use cases:
QuantityBased and OnOff components are periodically billed and are running as long as they are explicitly cancelled. QuantityBased components can be added arbitrarily. OnOff components can be added once or not.
Metered (usage) components are billed after they were used and counted on the point of the billing until the last billing occurred. This quantity is billed with the given unit price.
If the component is QuantityBased or a OnOff component, set the period for the adjusted price.
Components can be set up with different pricing models. There is a simple pricing model as well as a price scale and a discount scale.
- Every component order will be billed per unit with the same price
- Price scale
- Price scale (per Unit): To get the price, the absolute quantity of the units will be considered. Every unit will be billed with the same price of the price scale interval which fits the total quantity.
- Interval scale (per Unit): For the pricing of the component order the price for each interval will be calculated separately which creates the final price.
- Interval scale (Total): When using the option "Total" you can define a bucket price (flatrate) which contains a specific quantity. Every additional item can be billed in additional buckets or will be billed in the last interval per unit.
- Discount scale
- A discount scale is working quite similar to an price scale, where discount in per cent are working on increasing unit quantities. The discount scale has a base price which will be decreased.
- A special case is the pricing model "Free". Components with this pricing model will be managed as usage in the system but will not be billed. This can be handy if you want to add additional products to a contract but don't want to charge them.
Now you can set up the price or the wanted pricing scale. For QuantityBased and OnOff components you can select if these components should be billed pre- or post-paid. After that you can select the tax policy for this component.
If you are using the hosted signup pages you can select if this component should be selectable at these pages. Components which are billed periodically can be ordered by your customers. Metered components will be displayed in an own section with their pricing information.
At the end save the component and repeat if until you have set up all of your wanted products.